healthy and happy. one of these days.

10 December 2009

Just something I was thinking about earlier this afternoon…

My parents and I went into DC today to the Library of Congress; they are showing an exhibit of Herblock’s (actual name: Herb Block) political cartoons and we wanted to see it. The man worked for the Washington Post from 1946 to 2001. That’s insane.

Anyway, my ramblings don’t really relate to Herblock. But man, that guy was awesome.

Focus, self! Okay, so as I was getting ready, I just threw on some jeans, a blouse, and a cardigan to go over it. Then wrapped myself in a scarf and light jacket, slipped into my black flats that I wear almost everywhere, and I was out the door.

It wasn’t until a few hours later that I realized how incredibly easy it was for me to get dressed this morning, and more importantly, feel good in what I had on.

…It didn’t take over an hour to find the right shirt that felt right but also didn’t act as a sausage casing. I didn’t have to tug and pull or shift and scrunch and deal with all the smoke and mirrors it used to take to get me out the door feeling even remotely secure with my clothing choice.

…I could actually button the cardigan.

…I didn’t have to do squats and lunges to get my jeans just a centimeter looser to not cut off my circulation.

…I didn’t have to wear extra layers of regular clothes (and go through the same process above to find them) to make up for the fact that I didn’t have a jacket that fit me.

Yes, I still am in a transition phase; I have clothes that I love that are too big for me now (eventual tailoring will take place) and some that don’t fit me yet, or at least not to the standard of comfortably wearing it out in public. But for the most part, it’s so much easier for me to get dressed.

Such a simple concept that I don’t think I knew could be changed by losing weight. Of course I was physically capable of dressing myself previously (though it didn’t feel that way when tights entered the picture) but it wasn't easy, just like climbing stairs was a pain in the ass. So it's fitting that just as now I can whisk myself up both flights of stairs in our townhouse, I can throw on an outfit in 10 minutes and it comes together from Idea to Wearing It with ease.

The best part is knowing it's only gonna get better.

3 comments:

Mrs Swan said...

A big thumbs up for you!!! I have lost myself but lately I am feeling like that stuffed sausage caseing. LOL

Tricia said...

What a great feeling, Congrats!

Rebecca said...

that really is a great feeling!

I myself am just entering that phase, although it could have been easier had I not refused to buy bigger clothes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails