healthy and happy. one of these days.

07 September 2009

Lunch, etc.

Pausing from working on my to-do list to have lunch and write a bit. First, lunch:

1 piece of toast, whole grain bread, with ShmI Shman’t Schmelieve Spray.
1 cup of cottage cheese
1 Dannon Light and Fit yogurt (raspberry...the superior yogurt flavor)
1 can of V8.

I tried to get some good things in there. One thing I am trying to keep in mind, aka break myself from the habit, is assigning certain types of foods to my lunches. I equate lunch with a sandwich, chips and/or soup. It doesn’t have to be that way! I can choose any damn food I want!

---

I was reading a couple of blog entries from Bitch Cakes (this one and this one) about processed and artificially flavored foods. She mentions Fast Food Nation, which I have also read. And can I tell you something? I never thought of flavoring and processed stuff outside of fast food, soda, and maybe weird deli meats. As read the article, looked at her “artificial things” picture and read the comments, um, Holy All My Favorite Things, Batman! My beloved Crystal Light? Agh! My sugar-free coffee creamer? Gah! MY DIET COKE!?!?! NOOOOOOOO. And these are just my drink-related crutches. This can’t be good.

I just looked at the nutrition label on my yogurt – aspartame. The V8 has “flavoring” which doesn’t sound promising. The butter spray can’t be natural. Craaaaaaaaaap.

It was pretty eye opening. Cutting that stuff out makes sense, especially since I’ve been talking about the importance of eating healthy versus being a slave to calories.

I guess I have farther to go in the Eating Fresh and Healthy quest than I thought. I think I’m going to move forward gradually, because it feels like a pretty big undertaking and I need to do some more research. Also, as I live at home still I am not 100% in control of all the food that comes into this house, nor do I feel comfortable having my own grocery list in addition to that of my parents. They are already supporting me fully financially. I feel guilty enough as it is.

So for now I’ll compromise and do my best to stay away from the obvious things.

Also, I got an email from Spark People, giving me the recipe of the day. It was Healthy Moussaka. I immediately start laughing because all I can think of is this:

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails